My Tools

I

First, we need a definition of the word. For the purposes of this discussion a tool is any material thing that helps you perform a given task. That’s a pretty loose definition, I know, but if you want a tighter def, go to Merriam-Webster.

II

You could divide tools into several categories, small to large, for instance. Hand tools or power tools.

For the last thirty years or so, tools, generally, have been amazingly cheap. And they keep getting better. Also there are homemade tools and special tools. For instance, anyone working on cars should have an OBD-II code reader, available from under twenty-five dollars to three hundred and fifty dollars, unless you want to get into the ones that have you upload the results to your PC. Those are really expensive.

But this is specifically about working on old outboards, though a lot of it will transfer to other things.

First, you need a portable flat surface to put tools and parts on, so that you’re not constantly bending over. Something like this:



  It’s just a picnic table that you could buy anywhere. I have put automatic transmissions on on it. I believe it’s rated to handle two hundred fifty pounds.

Next, Even though the motor will often be on the boat when you’re working on it, sometimes you will need an engine stand. If the probability of working on a long shaft motor is greater than zero, make a stand that will hold a long shaft motor. See below. 

  

 


I will have to rebuild it so that the fin is off the ground. 

 

III

I really love tools that do the twisting for me. They save wear and tear on the wrists. And they make me feel important.


 Note that I am not brand loyal.

 

IV

Hand Tools

I have plenty of wrenches, sockets and screw drivers. I’m really fond of my quarter inch drive socket set. Combined with the tools above, they are my most useful.

Note the outlined sections.I modified the box by cutting/drilling holes to receive various drivers and a wobbly. If you really believe you own something, you can modify it any way you want. 




To be continued







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Season of Sloth